Tuesday 27 March 2007

Connecting with your inner child

Last Saturday I spent an hour at the park with my friend's eight year old son and made a wonderful connection with my inner child - I'm still high on account of all the endorphins released.

I walked alongside him, while tossing a football, as he rode his scooter the short distance from his house to the park. We had a kickabout initially and I took full advantage of the wind to whack the ball a fair distance, whooping with delight whenever I managed to kick the ball beyond him. We then moved onto the swings and I pushed him to a nice height before settling into the swing next to his and using my telescopic legs to build up a huge momentum. The volume of whoops increased as I swung higher and higher but then, fearing that I may go over the bar (I was swinging that high) the adult in me put a dampener on things and slowed the swing down. I let him return the favour on a stand-up see-saw (we used to sit on them back in the day). We then scrambled up the climbing frame and he demonstrated a neat move that involved him leaping off his scooter, mid-run, onto the climbing frame. Then it was back to the swings where I taught him how to build up the momentum for himself - he got upto a good height. He left me on the swings while he whizzed around the playground on his scooter then he abandoned the scooter to play basketball with two guys from his school. He was on the side with the extra man so I decided to combine "officiating" with riding the scooter (I will always multi-task when I can). The team of two failed to make their extra man count and when, at last, the team of one made a basket along with numerous basketball violations (double dribble, travelling etc), I decided to bring a halt to proceedings as our hour in the park drew to a close.

K, if I promise to tone it down, can we do it again next week?!

No comments: