Tuesday 8 June 2010

Computer says....NO

There's a sketch in Little Britain which always ends with the character robotically saying, "computer says....no'. I had my own real life "computer says....no" moment in the offices of a well known high street bank on Friday afternoon.

I was applying for a credit facility and as my income over the past year had been fitful, I thought it would be better if I made my case in person. So I went along to the branch of my bank in central London, where I had opened the account, armed with documentary evidence to support my changed circumstances and someone who could vouch for the veracity of some of my narrative a phone call away. Despite all this, the computer said no to my application so I asked for human intercession. The human involvement took all of 10 seconds to reach the same conclusion as the computer.

With such pliancy, who will stand up to the computers when they eventually take over?!!

No comments: