Wednesday 23 June 2010

We remember your role in the struggle

Dear Winnie Madizikela-Mandela

As I feel the role you played in the struggle against apartheid has been downplayed (in the eyes of the western media), I've decided to redress the balance.

What is not widely known is how you kept Madiba's name alive throughout his imprisonment, at an enormous personal cost to yourself and your daughters. I'm not sure what you thought of Sophie Okonedo's depiction of you in Mrs. Mandela - I thought she did a remarkable job of conveying the harassment you were subjected to. I read your biography and I was struck by what your dedication to the struggle meant in sacrificial terms. I know you survived solitary confinement interspersed with interrogation sessions and a banning order, which undoubtedly left its mark - there's a scene in Mrs Mandela where Sophie Okonedo accurately portrays the inevitable transformation that took place.

Your courage, dedication, determination and sacrifice makes you a heroine in anyone's language. I do hope you've found the happiness you deserve and that you are at peace with yourself.

Yours in admiration.

Amandhla!

No comments: