Tuesday 10 April 2007

10th April

Today's date for me represents the beginning of my journey
as it was 26 years ago, today, that we swapped countries.
England for Kenya was the exchange that took place,
however this time it was for good and not a rose tinted holiday.

I was packed off to boarding school, which I didn't like at first
and I ran away one weekend because of an unkept promise.
Fortunately, the headmaster was a wise old chap,
and understood the reasons behind my acting up.

If it wasn't for NPS, I wouldn't be where I am today
because the foundation for my education was laid in that place.
I aced my CPE exams, getting 276 out of 300, and placing top ten countrywide,
which allowed me to join LGS, one of the best high schools for girls, at the time.

I was at Limuru for the next six years of my life,
gaining 8 O levels and 3 A levels as I took academics in my stride.
Next up was UoN where I studied electrical engineering,
yet a practical course was rendered theoretical by the method of teaching.

I left with a Tutu, which was something of disappointment considering my academic pedigree
but I had done two computing work placements as I had decided that was the career for me.
Trying to find a job afterwards, brought home the chauvinism prevalent in Kenya society
and ultimately I decided that to achieve my dream, Kenya was not the place to be.

So every year on this date, I sit back and reminisce
about the Kenyan leg of my journey and how it shaped me.

No comments: