Friday 20 April 2007

Churchill, Disraeli and Nelson

Winston Churchill, voted the Greatest Briton in a 2002 BBC poll, and Benjamin Disraeli, Britain's only Jewish Prime Minster and the man who did much to lift Queen Victoria's spirits after the death of her beloved Albert in 1861, are to be joined in bronzery by Nelson Mandela, freedom fighter turned statesman, in Parliament Square, after Westminster Council finally agreed on a home for the latter's statue. The Mayor of London, Ken Livingston, had wanted Mandela's statue to be erected in Trafalgar Square, facing South Africa House, the site of numerous anti-apartheid and free Mandela rallies.

....we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.... - Winston Churchill, 4 June 1940

...During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.
- Nelson Mandela, 20 April 1964

No comments: