Monday 2 April 2007

From resistance to acceptance



The company of the men I keep is getting younger by the week. Two weekends ago, it was an eight year old and last weekend, it was, a soon to be, seven month old.

Babies are extremely critical and their selection procedure may seem arbitrary, BUT, there's a method to their madness. I went from the photo on the left (I was holding him) to the one on the right (I was behind the camera) within 60 days. How, by simply wearing him down. Within the stated time frame, I saw him 3 times. The first time, he was VERY upset when I held him, 3 weeks later, he had mellowed somewhat and I was allowed to get up, close and personal with him and this past Saturday, I was admitted to his inner circle. He would BEAM at me every few minutes, and when he wasn't beaming he was chortling with delight and most importantly, he wouldn't let anyone else hold him not even his mother (of course, when I couldn't give him what he wanted, what he really, really wanted, he opted to spend some quality time with his mother). This time, he was upset when I had to leave.

He's off on holiday for a while so I wonder if, when I see him next, I will still be regarded with such undiluted affection.

My endorphin count has a very high reading.

No comments: