Monday 2 April 2007

Pachyderms

I've carried a torch for elephants since I watched Dumbo a few decades ago. I dispensed with the cartoons and got pretty close to the real deal when I joined a honeymoon safari (the newly weds were extremely accomodating) and we stayed at TreeTops.

It was at TreeTops that Elizabeth Regina aka QEII learnt she had become queen on the death of her father, King George VI.

TreeTops employs a salt lick to entice the animals out into the open and during our stay, we were fortunate to see a menagerie congregate at the watering hole, from the comfort and warmth of the observation lounges. I felt a certain closeness to these magnificent creatures as I observed them enjoying their nocturnal treat. Guests are warned not to use flash photography as one elephant took great exception to a flash going off and charged the building. Needless to say, the building sustained significant structural damage so in order to thwart further charges, the staff laid down plus dinner plate sized pebble stones (apparently, elephants don't like the sensation underfoot) around the outside of the building.

Elephants live in a matriarchal society ie there's a Queen Bee and everybody defers to her. On any expedition, she will lead the way, the calves will be in the middle and an adult will bring up the rear. The site of elephant herds radially converging on the watering hole, in a procession of single files is a sight to behold (this is hearsay, as I haven't borne witness to this, however I can visualise as well as, if not better than, the next person).

Their renowned intelligence is another plus in my book, and like me, they NEVER forget.

No comments: